Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Getting My Feet Wet


          I love to swim.  Back in days of yore I used to ride a surfboard until my daughter, in fourteen year old horror, informed me that, ‘Mother’s do not ride surfboards, Mum!’  Apparently I should have been in the kitchen baking cookies.  So, although I didn’t drag out the Joy of Cooking recipe book, I did hang up my board and my board shorts and settled into plain old swimming as an acceptable alternative, thanking the movies and one lady in particular, for my ability to do so.
          When I was about ten, my little sister and I used to attend the Saturday afternoon offerings at our local cinema.  The special kid’s programs usually consisted of a couple of cartoons followed by a serial with a nail biting cliff-hanger.  Then an MC would appear on stage and encourage us all to ‘follow the bouncing ball’ as he led us in the theme song:
                   Here we are again
                   Happy as can be
                   All good pals and jolly good company
                   Never mind the weather, never mind the rain
                   As long as we’re together
                   Here we go again…
          There would be a brief interval during which the children usually ran amok laughing and screaming, rolling Jaffas sweets down the aisles or throwing them at each other and the ushers who were trying to keep some semblance of control, and then the main feature began.
          The mid to late 50’s was a time of movie musicals and light-hearted comedies.  We fell in love with Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly and Ricardo Montalban as they sang and danced their way around the sound stages of Hollywood.
          But the star who completely mesmerized me was Esther Williams.  Her beautiful smile as she swam so gracefully in crystal waters, flowers in her hair, captivated me and prompted me to want to swim just like she did.
          That presented a problem since neither my sister nor I had ever stepped into a swimming pool or even an ocean.  However, we knew the local community pool was just around the corner from the movie theatre and so our decision was made.
          On the days the theatre showed an Esther Williams movie, we arrived  ready with swimsuits in our bags.  We saved our candy and magazine money and then, after watching Esther on screen and memorizing every move, we raced around to the pool, slapped down our entry fee and prepared to swim by copying everything we had seen.
          Needless to say we learned to swim underwater before we ever learned to swim on top of it.  We thought it was marvelous to start at either side of the shallow end of the pool and swim towards each other, underwater, with our eyes open and big smiles plastered over our faces.
          After we had mastered that, it was time to attempt backstroke, making sure our shoulders came up out of the water just like Esther’s, then turning from backstroke to breast-stroke…we had a wonderful time.
          Even today, I sometimes find myself copying Esther Williams’ moves as I swim around my local pool, smiling at the trees and shrubs, pretending to be just like my idol.  Memories are wonderful things.



         
         
         

14 comments:

  1. G'day Astrid. Lovely post. They were good old days, back then. Not too bad now either, I suppose! Glad to hear you still swim.Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in Hawaii and not swimming would be sacrilege! Thanks for your comments Liz.

      Delete
  2. I just swam, er came, over via Perpetua's blog and wanted to say what a wonderful post this was and that I will look forward to visiting you again. Memories are, indeed, wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! Thank you for stopping by...I love to hear from every body :)

      Delete
  3. Ahhh memories!! Where would we be without them. Love;y Post my dear, I taught myself to swim too. It was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have to hear about when next I see you!

      Delete
  4. memories are wonderful things!!! with my kids home from college this week, that is all they want to talk about. i think they missed home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to be able to create memories though? Your kids will always remember these days with affection.

      Delete
  5. The Hollywood women of black and white where so elegant. I wonder what kids today will look back on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably monsters who turn into trees...what a thought!

      Delete
  6. Hello Astrid
    What memories this post has provided. Saturday morning was when we went to the pictures - not enough cash to buy anything but such good fun just the same. Serials were often of the cowboy and indian kind - hi ho silver and all that sort. Yes the music in the interval and even then there was a queue for the ladies!!
    I've taken up swimming again to help out with the arthritis - must do some more practise though, there's a lot of huffing and puffing when I get to the end of each lane lol
    Thanks for the memories - promise I won't leave it so long before I come to visit next time
    Take care
    Cathy

    Cathy @ Still Waters


    commenting on blogger - above link to new wordpress blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha Cathy, thanks so much for stopping by and for your comments. Keep up with the swimming though...it really is good for arthritis. It has certainly helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I'm so late, Astrid - family visitors! A lovely post and I'm filled with envy, since despite regular swimming lessons as a child I'm a very poor swimmer. Perhaps I need to live in a much warmer climate to encourage me...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or watch some old Esther Williams movies? Lovely to hear from you Perpetua...thank you.

      Delete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.