Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Jump In My Car


          When, as a teenager I was taking driving lessons, my instructor told me that it wasn’t enough for me to know the road rules and drive accordingly, he advised that I should also drive for every other person on the road within my line of sight.  At the time I thought that was all a bit much, after all wasn’t it hard enough for me to remember all the stuff I was supposed to know without wondering if the blue-haired lady in the car next to me was also clued in?  And what if she wasn’t?  What then?
          Which of course was the whole point and, over the years, following his advice, I have been saved from some potentially nasty fender benders or worse. 
          All this was brought to mind when a friend emailed me the results of a brand new study recently published by the Society of Automotive Engineers.  It seems that after observing some 12,000 drivers over a period of a year, the study showed that 48% neglected to indicate lane changes and 25% zoomed around corners without the appropriate signals.  This lackadaisical approach to road rules when applied to US drivers as a whole, translated to 750 billion instances of signal neglect and an estimated 2 million road crashes per year.
          Now I’m fully aware that in this rotten economy a job that pays a living wage is a good thing to have.  But is it really necessary to do a study of something that is patently obvious to anyone who drives?  At least in Hawaii most drivers have no idea what the little lever attached to the steering column is for or, if they do have an inkling they’re not about to let other driver’s in on the secret by using it.
          I have been behind a driver who suddenly decided to change lanes, drove for a half block or so and then just as suddenly veered back into the lane in front of me; all this without once dropping a hint of his intentions.  The fact the driver was a police officer in a marked police car stopped me from doing anything dumb… although my mental tirade directed at the back of his head was quite brilliant.  And no, the gentleman in question was not on his way to apprehend some bad guys but, more likely, didn’t want to be late for lunch.
          This inability of driver’s to flick a little lever leaves me puzzled. 
          I can remember in days of old when cars weren’t equipped with such modern marvels and to indicate a turn was a major production.  The window had to be rolled down, the arm extended outside the vehicle in plenty of time to allow the car behind to see the flapping appendage.  Too bad if it was pouring down rain or the temperature was hovering around freezing, it was what you did to avoid getting smacked in the bum by the following car, and it was required by law.
          I’ve actually reverted to doing this on a certain road I drive quite often.  I need to do a left hand turn from the median, with an immediate second left hand turn into a driveway.  So that the driver behind me isn’t confused by my intentions, I indicate with my signal and also shove my arm out the window halfway through my first turn, hoping whoever is sitting on my tail gets the message.  So far I’ve been lucky.  I shudder to think what will happen the day a following car doesn’t understand what blinking lights or waving arms are all about and cruises up my backside.
          So, I’ve come up with this great idea.  Would some smart GPS guy ask the tiny woman who sits inside the gadget to add, ‘turn your indicator on..’ before advising any turns or lane changes?  If the driver didn’t do as instructed, a stinky gas would waft from the GPS unit.  This would surely encourage all the dingbats to do as they’re told in the future.  Well, wouldn’t it?

         
         
         
         

           

20 comments:

  1. How about the car that does not turn the signal off? Following a car with a blinking signal drives me nuts. I drive up to them and make a signal with my hand to indicate a blink.

    Generally this is followed by a wave or a finger.

    Cranky Old Man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as frustrating, true. Particularly if the car is heading towards you and you can't figure out if the blinking light has been on for most of the day, or if the driver is actually trying to communicate a turn. Back to the old days, I say!

      Delete
  2. You hit the nail on the head! My pet hate is the tailgater. Driving a convertible, it freakes me out to see a car so close to my boot where the roof is folded into, that I can see the colour of his eyes. Good one my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe stinky gas out the exhaust pipe would be a good idea in that case eh?

      Delete
  3. In ACT, Australia (drive 'on the left' country) you will find that many motorists do not make rolling left hand turns, preferring to slow down almost to a stop and then make a sharp left turn! *&%$##()@ drivers, who taught you to drive, I would rant.

    Then a friend informed me that in the ACT, when doing your driving test, if you perform a rolling left turn you will not pass your test!

    *&%$##()@ driving assessors, who told you to enforce such an accident prone manouevre?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the things that are sent to try us John. I know exactly how you feel.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a million dollar idea to me. Can't wait to see the marketing on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think so. There could even be degrees of stinky gas..something like the three strike rule for crooks. Really, really pongy if you miss the indicator lever more than three times.

      Delete
  5. LOL, Astrid. It drives me mad too, especially when the culprit is my DH who thinks indicating for lane changes is an optional extra. Is it a man thing do you think? the stinky gas thing might just make him think twice, but I wouldn't want to be in the car with him....

    PS Have you w=ever thought of taking the dratted word verification off your blog, Astrid? Spam really isn't a problem and it takes me SO many tries to find two words I can decipher. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I'm not the only one in Hawaii being driven to distraction...the local newspaper today did a feature column on the problem. Great minds eh? Btw, Perpetua, I've finally managed to figure out how to remove the word verification...yeah! All should now be easier..:)

      Delete
    2. Ooo, thanks, Astrid. The spam filter is so good that only a couple have ever slipped through the net onto my blog and you can always delete them.

      Delete
  6. When I am Dictator Of The World, there will be Changes, I tell you; including some action on all the morons on the roads. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah..I'll be your Secretary of State...um..do Dictators have Secs. of State? Smiles - A.

      Delete
  7. Astrid, have you tried cutting out the left-hand turns without eating up any extra miles or time? If not, then you should. Trust me, you will see a nice drop in your fuel bill. :) That would do you good, especially with the cost of gasoline per gallon nowadays.

    Stelle Courney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I understand you Stelle. How do I cut out left hand turns if I need to turn left? Thanks for stopping by though...Smiles - A.

      Delete
    2. If I'm not mistaken, I think what Stelle meant was drive your way through shortcuts, Astrid. If so, then she's right. Taking the shorter route can definitely save you a lot of money.

      Patrick Gauer

      Delete
    3. The only way I could do that would be to drive through the ocean...and my car refuses to put its toesy into the water. Smiles - A.

      Delete
  8. Drivers who take shortcuts are smart drivers. Just make sure that the route that you’re taking is not most prone to heavy traffic. Shortcuts are meant to be what it is – a shortcut, your zigzaggy way out while everybody else is trying to drive through the straight line. It's always best to watch traffic news before leaving your house.

    Erwin Calverley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly agree with Erwin. It's always best to study your destination very well. Just take Los Angeles, for example. According to traffic information provider, INRIX, the worst travel hour in Los Angeles is every Thursday from 5 to 6 p.m. and not on Friday, which is nationally, the worst day to commute. Find a shortcut if you'll be traveling on that day, and always tune in to traffic updates.

      Clint Moore

      Delete
    2. I think you and your mate Erwin need to get a life!

      Delete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.