Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Slither, Hiss and Scream - Part I



          I loathe air-conditioning.  I hate the thought of breathing regurgitated air with all windows and doors firmly shut while the effects of a stunningly clear blue sky is a pane of glass away.  For this reason, my idea of air-conditioning is an open window, an open door and a fan creating a soft breeze.
          Some years back and for a while, we lived in Virginia.  Our house was one of those cute two-storey jobs with a fully finished walk-out basement.  At the time, my husband and I were the proud owners of two adorable cocker spaniels and the basement was their turf.  Consequently, while I was locked up in an air-conditioned igloo upstairs, the basement door was left open so the dogs could come and go at will.
          And so it was on a balmy summer evening, with my husband away on business, I wandered down to check on my four-footed kids.  Despite the frigid conditions upstairs, I was dressed appropriately for a hot July night…shorts, t-shirt and bare feet.
          A small lamp which lit the basement all night…the better for the doggies to see their way in and out…cast a pleasing glow over the room.  Walking further into the room I noticed a fairly large stick lying on the floor.  Obviously, one of the dogs had dragged it in from our pocket-sized yard.
          Without much thought I gave the stick a kick, thinking to send it flying outside.  The stick immediately coiled, raised a full half of its body length upright and let fly with a glorious hiss.     
          Crikey!  And eeeek!!
          I stepped back and froze.  A furtive glance at my two canine heroes told me no help would be forthcoming from that direction.  They were both sitting up on a corner sofa ready to enjoy the show and no doubt bury my body in the yard if it became necessary.  So, what to do?
          Despite the fact I grew up in Australia, often publicized as a country with the largest number of venomous snakes, in all my years there I had never seen one.  Unless you include the overfed, snoring coils presented by Taronga Park Zoo.
          When you think you’re going to die, time does not stand still.  Instead it makes you stupid.
          I knew I had to get the snake out of my house…dead or alive.  But how?  Keeping my eyes on snake, I reached behind me and grabbing a can of spray, I emptied it over the snarling serpent.  What brilliance!  Did I really believe I could fly spray it to death?
          I think the snake coughed once.  It definitely gave me a dirty look as it again raised its body and showed me its teeth, or is that fangs?

          Here ends Part I… The continuing saga of snake, my doggies and me will continue in my next blog post.

           

19 comments:

  1. Holding my breath...but I'm guessing you survive.

    Cranky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have given away that secret by adding the two parts together...but way too long. You'll just have to wait and see eh?

      Delete
  2. BTW, the Cut-a-thon collected almost $10,000 thank you for your generous support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you survive? Somebody will ask this as sure as the sun comes up in the west. It might as well be me!!!!!
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they did and did. Think I'll go have a glass of wine and ponder why.

      Delete
  4. I'm gonna be really pissed off it that snake kills you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You truly thought this blog was being written by a person alive and kicking? Ha!

      Delete
  5. Don't you dare hurt that poor little reptile! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only time I ever had an unpleasant surprise was on a summer's evening eating peach cobbler when I noticed some of it had dropped onto my thigh. I picked it up and when it suddenly moved let out an almight scream... just a slimy snail -- and a whole lot of people laughing at me!

    Gosh though, I hope you're still alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeewwww. I can't think what's worse and hissing snake or a slimy slug. Just think...you can make a meal of them when you get to your cottage...yum.

      Delete
  7. I hear tell shakes is good eatin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on the snake Ilion...cobra's, I believe are too dumb to be tasty...:)

      Delete
  8. Well Astrid...I can only say that I think I would have had a severe laungry problem! Having a little experience of my own with the creatures...I can just picture that whole setting...and as I live in the woods I wonder when I am going to get my surprise when I go downstairs sometimes..it lurks around in my mind frequently and I am very aware of my surroundings. You made me laugh out loud..even with no voice and sore throat...thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to oblige. I'm sure you'll enjoy next week's installment too. Smiles.

      Delete
  9. G'day Astrid. What a great post. I can picture you with the fly spray in hand, doggies sitting on the couch watching events unfold and one mighty angry snake wondering what on earth he had done wrong to be on the receiving end of such treatment.We had our fair share of snakes when we had the farm. One six foot brown near the back door was a touch scary and some years later a smaller brown in the chook house only inches from my right foot, put the wind up me, I can tell you. Can't wait to hear more Astrid. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy now to be living in a place that has NO snakes. I still shudder when I think of my 'snake experience.'

      Delete
  10. oh my gosh! I guess you won! the spray will now have to carry new indications for use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately Annmarie, the spray didn't work...but other plans were afoot...you'll have to wait for next week and Part II. Smiles - A.

    ReplyDelete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.