Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Slither, Hiss and Scream..Part II


         
Continuing the sage of snake, my doggies and me

          Math is not my strong suit but some very quick calculations were forming in my mind.  Back door is open…snake is two feet from door… me, two feet from snake…broom within easy reach of my left hand.  The solution seemed simple.  With one quick swish of the broom that snake could be flying through the air and out the door.  I would immediately follow-up by slamming the glass door shut.
          I swished and the snake disappeared.  But was that outside or inside, behind the curtain hanging at the door?  I had not calculated the lip at the bottom of the sliding door and I couldn’t see any slithery thing outside.  A questioning look passed between me and my doggies.  Clueless.
          Then we all moved at once.  I slammed the glass door shut and the three of us took off up the stairs.  Being in the living room with a flight of stairs and a fairly solid door between me and snake did nothing for my nerves.  How much room does a snake need to slither under a door?  I grabbed some towels and jammed them against the quarter inch space.  Now we were safe…at least until the morning.
          Then I did stupid thing number two.  I called my husband in Texas.  Trying to remain calm, inbetween throwing furtive glances at the door, I recounted all that had transpired in the basement.  I kept repeating that I wasn’t sure if the snake was actually outside or still in our house.
          There was a long silence from my husband.  Then very gently he said: ‘Honey, just what do you want me to do?  I’m on the other side of country.’  Good point.
          The doggies and I had a fairly restless night.  At least I did.  They snored on regardless.
          The next morning it was time to be brave; this time, with a pair of hefty shoes on my feet.  Gingerly, I checked behind all the furniture in the basement being careful not to disturb anything too much.  No snake.  I walked outside with a sigh of relief.  I must have swept snake out last night after all, I thought.
          As I turned back my eye caught something curled up against the glass door.  Snake was enjoying the sunshine from within my house.
          Lots of hysterical screaming for my neighbor to present himself followed.  He got the snake out with a shovel and promptly decapitated it.  Lots more sighs of relief.  Now I was safe – definitely.
          But I was puzzled why my neighbor kept walking around my small yard, shovel at the ready.
          ‘That was a baby copperhead,’ he explained.  ‘I’m looking for its Mommy.’
          Great.  Now I could look forward to Mom coming to get me and exact revenge.
          But, all turned out okay and my basement door was never left open again.  My dogs would have to wait to be let out or leave their offerings in the middle of the floor.  Hey, I’d much rather pick up dog poop than another snake any day.

 ******
PS.  I'll be playing tour guide to a friend who's coming to visit for a couple of weeks.  I'll resume my Blog posting towards the end of July...


23 comments:

  1. What kind of friend do you have that would deprive us of stories such as this?

    cranky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in a country with the most deadly snakes in the world - I relate to this. But then we also have spiders. I always, always shake my shoes before putting them on.
    Good one my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll raise you your spider with the sugar cane variety here. These babies are too big to fit into any shoe!!

      Delete
    2. Could I wear one like a brooch? Like I did in Costa Rica? Are they deadly though? Love to see one!

      Delete
    3. Not deadly...just scare you to death with one jump.

      Delete
  3. So much for guard dogs. Your beasts need a good talk to buck them up so they can save mommie when the need arises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamilton and his Mrs. are now in doggie heaven. It's Sophie who is my protector now...um...have you seen a photo of her? I guess she could 'cute' someone to death if need be.

      Delete
  4. I do remember you recounting all that drama. Especially the Mommy snake waiting in the yard - maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed your memory is correct. So glad I don't have any snake problems here...Sophie is about as brave as Hamilton, methinks :)

      Delete
  5. Well, you survived, and that's the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed Ilion...thanks. See you after my tour guide duties :)

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh! copperheads can be lethal!! I worked in and ICU poison control center...a snake bite from a copperhead is not fun!!!
    have fun though being tour guide...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I didn't now that...just as well or I would have been waking up my neighbors that night :)

      Delete
  7. G'day Astrid. Great post. Lets hope that all snakes give you a wide berth from now on. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are NO snakes in Hawaii...bliss :)

      Delete
    2. A few years ago, totally unawares, I almost picked up a smallish one. He was reared back and hissing, so I imagine that if my guardian angel hadn't prompted me to look at where I was reaching, I'd have been aware of the little critter soon enough.

      Delete
  8. Popping in to let you know I'm back at my old blog. The other one has disappeared into cyber space? Hope you'll visit when you have time Astrid. Have fun with your visitor. Take care Sue(Maa)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am reading when I can, with no time to comment mostly until DH's mother goes home. Enjoy your time with your friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have called my husband too and expected him to zoom home and solve the problem. Thank goodness your neighbor came to the rescue. YIKES, a copperhead!

    Have a good time with your friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'm back but still recovering...this playing tour guide takes it out of you. Smiles - A.

      Delete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.