Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bandaids, Boobs and Barbies


         
         
          Back before gravity took hold of my body and my metabolism died a slow death; even before my eyes decided that anything smaller than billboard sized type could not be read by them, I was a skinny bean pole of a teenager.  Since at the time I made my living modeling equally skinny garments, this was a good thing.  Except in summer.
          In summer, when all my girlfriends were donning skimpy swimsuits and parading their tanned and toned bodies around the local beaches, I was wondering just how many tissues I could stuff into my bikini bra top so I didn’t look like a boy. 
          But, after age forty, with every passing year, a pound of blubber attached itself to my body completely without my permission or actual knowledge.  It was just the case that I slowly grew from a size ‘tiny’ to a size ‘really’?  This did not make me dance with joy but it did make me realize that with the slightly larger hips, I had also managed to acquire boobs that required more than a bandaid to cover them.  Now I could wear dresses confident that the top would be properly filled out and match the bottom half in perfect symmetry.
          All this was before the advent of what has become a multi-million dollar industry for cosmetic surgeons…the implanting of lumps of jello encased in some form of soft plastic material, into an otherwise perfectly fine female body.  These packets of yesterday’s uneaten dessert come in a myriad of sizes.  The small busted woman can choose which pair she desires from a collection in a glass enclosed case.  Something like picking out a chunk of meat from the butcher’s window for tonight’s dinner.
          Trust me I have no problem with women wanting to make themselves look and feel better.  I have a bathroom cabinet full of expensive makeup that proves the point as well as two closets full of clothes that have rarely seen the light of day.  My problem is the lack of common sense illustrated by the young things who want to improve their appearance by enhancing their natural bits and pieces.
          For instance, at the gym the other day, as I passed a line of elliptical machines, I counted seven twenty-somethings all jiggling away on the equipment who looked as though they’d been birthed by a cookie cutter or perhaps the same plastic surgeon.  Every one of them was proudly sporting a size 44D bust, a tiny waist and normal sized hips.  The fact they all had very similar hairstyles, made me wonder if they’d been cloned by the Barbie doll people.
          Even the guys, who are usually good for a drool or two when they see a good looking young lass in her skimpy exercise gear, seem to have become impervious to the boobs bounty around them these days.  Apparently, with so much to ogle, the game has become old hat and not worthy of their attention.
           Still, I shudder to think what these Barbie girls will tell their female offspring when the time comes.  Find the best plastic surgeon you can and make sure you look like every other woman on the planet?  What an awful prospect!

17 comments:

  1. Fake boobs look good when the lady is not moving, then they lack what I like to call "Titty Jiggle" boobs need the "Titty Jiggle"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But more horrifying still Joe...what will the enhanced young things look like when they hit 60+? Everything sagging except two boobs that are sitting up like a couple of pyramids?

      Delete
  2. real beauty is inside...and women who are a happy about their lives glow and smile, and a plastic surgeon cannot reproduce that no matter what the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true...sadly it appears, not too many young things are happy about their lives.

      Delete
  3. The thing is most of these girls don't have anything wrong with the way their bodies look! They don't seem to find their own 'identity', their own 'look', their own 'style'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now with their enhanced chests, they all tend to look exactly the same. Pity.

      Delete
    2. I'll bet the even have the same piercings and tatoos.

      Delete
    3. Possibly...although not visible to me...:)

      Delete
  4. "Even the guys, who are usually good for a drool or two when they see a good looking young lass in her skimpy exercise gear, seem to have become impervious to the boobs bounty around them these days. Apparently, with so much to ogle, the game has become old hat and not worthy of their attention."

    Or, perhaps I'm not the only guy who is disgusted, or at least uninterested in, by plastic boobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps if they all didn't look the same it would be different.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps. Or, perhaps for the less refined, ot at least less observant.

      Me, I'm not favorably impressed by size (if I wanted udders, there are plenty of cows out there ;) ). But, worse, they don't look like breasts, they look like two halves of a cantaloupe glued to their fronts.

      Delete
  5. I was also a beanpole way into adulthood (*).

    A couple of years ago, I picked up an old pair of pants that had been relagated to supplying patching scraps. I marveled that I had ever worn them ... and I had worn them when I was 29 and 30 (I know this because I'd worn them when I first gutted gutten my house). What's even more ironic is that at the time I thought my hips were too wide; now the waistband of those pants wouldn't even get as far as my hips.

    (*) I had, and have, a complex relationship with my body-image. Not quite so bad as so many women, but definately more complex than most men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people have issues with their body image..at least most of the people I knew as a kid. Not so much now...I guess everyone grows out of it eventually...or is that, grows up? Smiles - A.

      Delete
    2. That's me ... arrested development ;)

      Delete
    3. I think it goes back to one of my aunts telling me when I was about 11 or 12 that she'd seen me walking home from school (reading a book as I walked) ... and them adding "your hips are getting so wide".

      Delete
  6. Couldn't agree more, Astrid. On a more serious note, as someone who's had breast cancer twice, I can't help wondering how on earth you mammogram an 'enhanced' breast and spot something wrong? Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually asked my mammogram technician about that. She said it takes twice as long to do the mammo and there's always the risk of causing a leakage. Dreadful thought eh?

    ReplyDelete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.