Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Finding Goodies



          Around my area there are several secondhand shops operated by charities such as the Salvation Army, Red Cross, Kidney Clothes and others.  There are also a couple of shops owned by private entities who claim they sell antiques.
          If an antique is gauged by the number of scratches, stains and chips on any one item, they do indeed sell such collectibles.  I personally think the owners either have supreme confidence in their inventory, or have delusions of grandeur, but perhaps that’s just me.
          In Australia such establishments are called Opportunity Shops or, more frequently, Op shops.  There, like the shops here, you can outfit your kids for school or play for pennies, find furniture that with a bit of TLC will do fine in the living room, and even find a nice warm bed for Fido, all for what a single item would cost in a department store.
          I have been known to browse these Op Shops quite frequently and for lengthy periods at each visit.  Usually I leave empty handed because that’s all I’m doing…just browsing.  However, lately my expeditions have taken on a more purposeful tone.  Now I’m looking for real goodies.          Now I’m looking for hidden Renoirs, Chagalls, even a sweet little Picasso would be nice.  What am I finding instead?  Dreadful paintings by people who did not heed their art instructor’s advice to take up cooking.
          My foray amongst the cobwebs and dust of these stores is as a result of seemingly endless reports of someone finding a famous artist’s painting by mere chance.  A woman wants a gilt frame so buys a cheap little painting for a few dollars.  Surprise!  It’s a Picasso and worth somewhere in the vicinity of $1 million.
          What amazes me is that no one notices the artwork was done by a master before it was put on the shelf for sale at $3.  Not the Op Shop sales person, not even the original owner who must have just piled up all the junk into a box and delivered it to the store as a charitable gesture.
          My daughter often finds what she calls ‘little treasures,’ during her Op Shop excursions.  But since these usually require major reconstruction work to be recognizable as whatever they originally were or what someone with a great imagination can turn them into, they don’t have a lot of appeal for me.
          Still, having failed at finding the lost paintings of Rembrandt at my local Goodwill store, I have now decided to alter my search from paintings to first edition books.  Surely somewhere amongst all the moldy, dusty piles of paper stacked in bookcases, I’ll be able to find that long sought after first edition copy of one of Tolstoy’s masterpieces.  What do you think are my chances folks?

I'm taking a break from this blog of mutterings and mumblings.  I've decided to do some major traveling for the next year or so.  Who knows I may experience some adventures I can recount on my blog.  I also need to get back to my long neglected memoir...get the darn thing finished once and for all.  It's been fun...but now, au revoir :)
         



11 comments:

  1. Gonna miss ya, stay in touch on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the memoir. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A woman wants a gilt frame so buys a cheap little painting for a few dollars. Surprise! It’s a Picasso and worth somewhere in the vicinity of $1 million."

    That's how you can tell that the world is insane. For, in a sane world, no Picasso has worth other than as kindling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's been fun...but now, au revoir :)"

    8-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, no! Don't go - or at least pop back occasionally and tell us how you're doing (I don't do Facebook....)

    Enjoy the travelling an get the memoir finished - it will be a first edition all of its own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Astrid. Oh Astrid I will miss reading your posts. But,I wish you well in your traveling and writing your memoirs. How exciting for you. Maybe you might just get to Paris in January and I can meet you, along with my blog friend Penny, who lives in France and I will be meeting her for the first time. I must get into our local op shop here in town more often.I know there are some wonderful things to be bought very cheaply. Take care dear one. All the best. Liz...xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Astrid
    It seems like we only just met and now it's time to say goodbye! I'm another one looking forward to reading your published memoirs -

    Thank you for your blogging friendship Astrid, I'll miss your weekly visits to Still Waters and the comments you would leave on each blog entry. So go and enjoy your travels - you never know we may meet up somewhere someday (maybe in Melbourne if you come down to visit 'Amber')
    Take care
    Cathy

    Cathy @ Still Waters



    commenting via blogger

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a good writer Astrid. Come back and write again for us... anytime.

    And no, I am not taking you off my "Fun Reads" list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to hear about your travels when you come back. You are a wonderful writer. :) So glad we "met."

    ReplyDelete
  10. What the hey, Astrid!
    Sure, you can retire from work. But who says you can leave your faithful readers? When you have the talent to make a trip to the grocery store interesting reading, you don't have to travel to the ends of the earth to get new material. But do enjoy your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope your travels and insights are fabulous!! looking forward to reading about them.

    ReplyDelete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.