Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Gliding To A Standstill



          Back in days of yore when I was making a living modeling, there were occasions when my strut down the runway was exciting.  Actually in those days we didn’t strut so much as glide.  Strutting was considered unladylike, and a graceful glide the epitome of modeling finesse.
          At the time, an organization called the Wool Board was to young models then what showing the clothing of the very top designers during Fashion Week in NY would be today.  Only the cream of the modeling crop was asked to participate in runway shows for the Wool Board.  And only the Wool Board was high enough up the design chain to have important personages, top ranking designers and even celebrities as guests to their shows.
          The preparation for the Wool Board shows was extensive.  Days of fittings with nips and tucks happening as one garment after another were fitted to each model.  Then hours of rehearsals as we were sent down the runway in order of the program guide. 
          All accessories for each garment were provided by the designers…hats, bags, scarves, even shoes.  And each piece gave the designer’s masterpiece the added oomph they thought it required.
          So it was one year we were excited to learn that the Duchess of Kent would be one of the guests at that year’s Wool Board show.  The Duchess of Kent!  She was a royal… okay perhaps gzillionth in line to the British throne, but still… certainly one of the tiara set.
          The designers nearly went ballistic prepping for the show.  The models were in such a tizzy I thought we’d all collapse in the dressing rooms before we even made it to the runway.
          But the lights dimmed, the show began… and off we went. 
          For one of my outfits, I’d been given a little silky terrier puppy as an accessory to walk with down the runway.  The puppy was a light brown color; my beautifully constructed suit was a lovely cream with dark brown shoes, bag and gloves.  I thought I looked superb… the height of elegance plus the addition of the puppy would set me and my outfit apart from the others.  What brilliance!
          I even had visions of the Duchess asking to actually see my garment up close and perhaps even being so enamored with my modeling abilities that she would buy the outfit.
          As I took my first pass down the runway, without any warning at all and right in front of the Duchess, my cute little pooch decided this was the perfect time and place to squat and pee.  Horrified I tried to tug the little thing to walk…away from the puddle on the carpet.  The doggie just sat and stared up at me.
          What did she want?  Surely she wasn’t expecting a treat? Or was she getting ready to do more than just pee? 
          I glanced red-faced at the Duchess who was laughing uproariously.  Well, all right then.  Not so bad after all.
          Still with dogs you never know…all my modeling gracefulness, my smartie pants poise, flew out the window as I picked up the pooch tucked her under my arm and strutted off to the dressing rooms.
          I guess I should be grateful my doggie accessory was a girl and not a boy.  I shudder at the thought of a boy doggie lifting his leg and letting a stream of pee fly right into the lap of the Duchess or even worse… into her face!  Yikes.
         
         

10 comments:

  1. I think you escaped from that awkward situation as gracefully as you could. Like you say, it could have been much worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I could have slipped in the doggie pee and landed on my bum too...:)

      Delete
  2. G'day Astrid. Well at least the Duchess laughed and saw the funny side of it. I agree with Stephen in that you did well to recover the situation. You know that old saying about never working with children and animals !!!Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I don't think I ever did again Liz :)!! P.S. Not long to go now eh?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing that story with us. It was super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Even I can laugh about it now...back then? A very different story :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, that made me laugh, Astrid. A wonderful story and so nicely told. As you say, it could have been even worse, but I bet that was a fashion show the Duchess didn't forget in a hurry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet she didn't sit in the front row at future shows either! :)

      Delete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.