Tuesday, August 21, 2012

To Vote Or Not...What's The Question?


          I’ve often been amazed at the number of people who whine about our government officials, yet those same people rarely, if ever, can be bothered to get off their bums to actually cast a vote. 
          In Australia, voting is compulsory.  Of course there are still countless numbers who whinge about their elected officials, but in my mind, they have a better right to do so.  At least they tried to get someone else elected.
          Last week we had primary elections here and I discovered some of the reasons Americans prefer to stay home on polling day.  I believe it’s called stink and frustration!
          For years my polling place has been across the street from my house in the local middle school cafeteria.  A leisurely stroll on a lovely morning.  But not this year.   This year some brilliant bureaucrat decided that was all too easy and I should now drive several miles to a further school.  This particular establishment of learning has very limited parking so it was necessary to line up, cool my heels and wait for a parking stall to become vacant.
          Ah, but why quibble?  I was there to do my civic duty.  After all wasn’t this one of the reasons I became a US citizen?  So, by golly, not even a huge inconvenience was going to stop me! 
          As I entered the actual polling room decorated with twenty or so privacy cubicles I was nearly knocked over by the pong.  It was apparent the last time the canvas material used to create these cubicles had seen the light of day was at least four years ago.  And no one had thought to give them a bit of an airing or at least given them a squirt of Febreeze before erecting them for our use now.
          I was given the choice of voting manually or electronically.  I chose manually mainly because there was a short line in front of the electronic gadget and I didn’t know how long I’d be able to continue to hold my breath.
But my decision was a mistake.  The pong of mildew was nearly overwhelming inside the cubicle. 
          Then I discovered how the government was going to save us all tons of loot.  Pens and string!  Attached to the shelf by a string was one of these el cheapo plastic biros.  The kind you can buy for about $1 for a packet of 100.  I’m ambidextrous but I usually prefer to fill out forms with my left hand.  Unfortunately this was not to be that day.  The string was so short that I could barely stretch it toward the form with my right hand and try to fill in all the little squares.  What an exercise in futility.  Did the bureaucrats really believe that we poor dingbat voters were going to abscond with their crummy little pens if they didn’t tie them securely to the cubicle frames?
          But, I did my duty.  And I do applaud all the volunteers who manned the various polling stations around the state.  I’m sure it’s a fairly thankless job, not to mention a real stinky one around my way.  I just hope someone has the good sense to give those canvas squares a good whip through the washing machines before November comes.
          Let’s face it.  It’s hard enough to get voters off their bums under perfect conditions, why give them the excuse of pongy polling places to add to their list of reasons why they can’t/won’t vote?



11 comments:

  1. I don't like the idea of compulsary voting...not bothering to vote is a vote. I don't want my leaders chosen by people who do not give a crap.

    Obviously your district is trying to elliminate left handed voters!

    BTW the "volunteers" in most states that I know of get paid $100 or more for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Joe, if 'not bothering to vote is a vote,' then our leaders ARE chosen by people who do not give a crap. But what a great thought...what would happen if EVERYONE stayed home next November? Who would be the winner? Obviously my mind is still warped by the pong of those cubicles last week. Smiles - A.

      Delete
  2. As a felt-handed person I think this stinks, maybe more than the smell in those booths. Voter suppression of lefties is what this sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously it is all a plot and a ploy Stephen...sigh.

      Delete
  3. G'day Astrid. I guess the compulsory voting wouldn't appeal to everyone, but I like the idea of at least trying to have a say in who runs this country. Even though the voting is compulsory here, I guess there are still a lot of people who stuff up the ballot papers on purpose. They would probably be the first ones to whinge when the elected party does something wrong.Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea too Liz, but why bother if all you're going to do is stuff up the ballots? Some people are a little thick don't you think? Smiles - A.

      Delete
  4. Poor Astrid, penalised for doing your civic duty. I always vote too, but we chose to register for postal voting some years ago, so polling booths are a thing of the past for us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After our BIG election in November, I think I too will be registering for absentee (postal) voting for the future. All this drama is just too much for poor me. Smiles - A.

      Delete
  5. I feel so strongly in making my vote count I have taken my kids with me since they were babies just so they could see me voting...and I always vote pro life. my college kids vote by absentee ballot...I think our vote is worth the hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you Annmarie. Frustrating, but worth it.

      Delete
  6. Interesting problem to have -- generally, it's the *choices* that stink!

    ReplyDelete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.