Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cigarettes, Gardenias and Fishnet Stockings



          I’ve mentioned before that Australians have always been madly in love with America and Americans.  This love affair with America causes Australians to consider anything and everything American superior in every way and highly desirable.  Before the advent of visiting superstars and million dollar concerts, that perception extended to the local entertainment industry.
          The Embers, was a newly opened nightclub in a near city suburb.  It was popular because it was the only real nightclub at that time in Melbourne.  The club, complete with romantic lighting, a small stage for entertainment, and an equally small dance floor, was the epitome of what Australians had seen in all the movies coming out of Hollywood.  It was a huge success.
          To propagate the illusion of American-ness, the owner of the club, decided to hire a cigarette girl.  Cigarette girls in the movies of the day, were pretty young things who dressed in short skirts, fishnet stockings and carried a tray hung from their necks filled with the most popular brands of cigarettes.  It must be remembered that everyone smoked in those days.  Particularly young people who thought cigarettes gave them an air of sophistication.
          I was offered the job of cigarette girl at The Embers  as a result of the owner having seen me doing my bit on a daily TV variety show.  The ‘bit’ was probably me standing like a palm tree next to the host, but who cared.  I had a regular evening job which is what I’d been looking for for a while.  Of course the club’s owner was completely unaware of my very young age.  After all, I looked closer to 22 than 17 and I wasn’t about to discourage anyone from thinking I was a mature adult.
          I thoroughly enjoyed my job.  At first, since I was working on commission, my pay packet was a little lean.  But I convinced the owner that he should allow me to sell fresh flowers as well as the cigarettes to increase my profit margin.  Since it would also increase his profit, he agreed and each evening I loaded up my tray with not only cigarettes but also lovely fresh gardenias.
          It was easy to sell the flowers.  After all, what man trying to impress a new girlfriend is going to say ‘no’ when asked if he’d like to buy a gardenia for his lady?  On slow days when there weren’t enough couples to sell flowers to, I’d approach a table of men and ask them to buy me a gardenia which I would pin to my neckline.  Some evenings I had a complete lei of gardenias pinned around my neckline.
          During the months I worked at The Embers, I saw many talented American performers.  Billy Eckstine, Bobby Van and Ricky Nelson were some of the bigger names.  Of course there was the has-beens and the never-were’s from the US as well, but since we didn’t know or care, they all seemed like stars to us.
          The Embers had two levels.  The ground floor room as well as a more private room at the side separated by a heavy velvet curtain and a sort of mezzanine room three steps up and over a fishpond.  More seating and the dance floor, was on the mezzanine section which also had a square counter at the side with an open barbeque style cooking area.  Here the Chefs’ would dump large steaks and customers could watch them sizzle to their required done-ness.
          On a particular night as I passed the barbeque grill counter, the flames from the sizzling steaks were leaping and jumping like wild things.  I recall saying to the Chef that he should watch it.  The flames were really getting too high.
 
As a blonde and skinny (sigh) in my 'cigarette girl' outfit 
 Part II will appear next week.

13 comments:

  1. Fun story and an interesting glimpse into a bygone era. Great gams, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen. It gets even better in part two. Smiles.

      Delete
  2. I hate to be continueds! I'm sensing a fire?

    Shame on you Chubby Chatterbox for your sexist comment!!

    I don't know about gams, but ooga on the legs!

    U musta sold a lot of flowers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a hoot! You really are one funny guy Joe. Yes, I did sell a ton of flowers...sorry about the 'continued.' The tale was just too long not be chopped in two.

      Delete
  3. How can you leave it hanging like that, Astrid? A fun and evocative post and I'm not surprised you sold so many gardenias. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see how it all finished :)! Thanks for the nice comments.

      Delete
  4. G'day Astrid. What a great post. Can't wait for the next installment. Lovely photo of you. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz...sadly the photo was taken many, many moons ago. Wish I looked like that now :)

      Delete
  5. "On slow days when there weren’t enough couples to sell flowers to, I’d approach a table of men and ask them to buy me a gardenia which I would pin to my neckline."

    *grin* Never mind the gams, that's a quick mind there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were so creative in getting those flowers sold, and what a cutie you were!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It's *her* fault for the result she tell us of in Part II ... she's only distracting us with the grill.

      Delete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.