Tuesday, September 25, 2012

You've Got A Friend



          Friends are wonderful.  Really good friends are exceptional.  Locking your car keys inside your car is dumb but it all works out if you have at least one of the former.
          These days I usually hit the gym as the chickens are just waking up and before every muscle bound gentleman can commandeer all the equipment to show off his body building prowess.  I suppose I could excuse my dumbness by suggesting that I’m half asleep, but that wouldn’t be true.  Just dumb dedumb dumb dumb.
          My car is an ancient model.  Not quite a covered wagon but not far off.  It does not open and close with lights flashing and bips from a key fob but uses the time honored ‘key in door lock’ system to open the doors and a quick thump with the side of the hand to lock them.
          I’m still shaking my head at my ability to glance around and ensure all the doors were locked then lean down to pick up my gym bag while placing the car keys on the passenger seat.  Why did I do that?  It’s not like they were heavy.
          Then, a dainty hop and skip out of the car, slam the door and stare open-mouthed at the keys still sitting on the seat inside the now locked car.
          Immediate panic mode!  What to do?  I knew I had another car key at home.  But ooops, my garage door opener was sitting inside my locked car attached to the sun visor and now seemingly laughing at me.  I had no other keys with me with which to get into my house.
          Ah, but I had given a spare garage door opener to my neighbor.  I would call her and all would be well.  But alas, no.  My neighbor is one of those people who only has a cellphone.  A cellphone which is never on so messages are the only things that are transmitted.  Bummer!
          On the other hand, what did it matter? My gym is a good five miles from my house.  I wasn’t about to walk home…not with the skies threatening a downpour at any minute.  And even if I did?  What then?  Sit on the kerb looking like a homeless old bag lady? 
          But then I remembered I had access into my neighbor’s house for just such an emergency.  But at what was seemingly the crack of dawn, how was I going to get there? 
          I called a girlfriend hoping against hope the phone would not be answered by a very sleepy voice.  Thankfully she was up and about to have her first cup of coffee when I called.  Her immediate response to my blathering was:  ‘I’m on my way.  Be there in ten minutes tops.’
          A ride home, a quick break-in to my neighbor’s house to get my garage door opener, pick up the spare car key and a ride back…within 30 minutes all was well with the world.
          Some little while ago I wrote a post about “Mary” being a grand old name.  It could be said that my friend Mary is also a ‘grand old dame,’ but more than that, she is a first class lady with the most generous nature, particularly before 7 in the morning. Thank you, my friend.

15 comments:

  1. Did it once when I was about 18. I do not even remember how I got in, I think I had a lock smith help me but we had no cell phones so I just don't remember. It was in a shopping center, maybe there was a locksmith there.

    What I do remember is that sinking feeling when you realize the keys are still in the ignition but the momentum from the closing door is to great to stop your stupidity. A n d t h e
    d o o r c l o s e s i n s l o w motion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...and you feel like a complete dill because now you have to admit to somebody what you did :)

      Delete
  2. I really think this has happened to most people at some time or other. Me included. Fortunately when i was younger I never had a car which wasn't easy to break into. The old coat hanger through the side window trick. I never did it, but helpful workmates completed the job, but not without snide, "stupid woman!" looks.
    My very first car was a baby Austin, bought for 80 bucks. It had automatic windows. Put plainly, if you placed yours hands flat against a closed window and pressed downwards, they automatically slid down - and open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish my jalopy had those kind of windows...winner!

      Delete
  3. How great that Mary was there to bail you out. The world needs more Marys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Astrid
    Lucky you to have a willing friend who came to you in your time of need.

    I once took a cab home from the local shopping centre (too far to walk with shopping) told the driver to wait while I got the spare (hidden) house key, took the shopping inside, picked up the spare car key and then returned to the shopping centre to open the car - rather than admit to Dh what had happened and ask him to leave work and pick up the spare key for me from home lol

    After countless 'locking the keys in the car' episodes I was so so happy to finally take delivery of a keyless entry motor - yet I still lock the door manually. My excuse is I'm saving the battery on the remote but if truth be told I can't get out of the habit (finally learn't after being charged by the RACV when they came out 'again' to open my door) of looking at my hand before I go to lock the door.
    -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told the keyless entry type doors are harder to unlock in the event one leaves the fob/key in the car. It's all too hard for me...back to covered wagons I say.

      Delete
  5. I think we have all been there, Astrid! I certainly have -- not with the car so much as the house! Such an awful feeling in the pit of the stomach when you immediately realize as you hear the door slam, what you have done! Great to have a friend like Mary. This summer I had left a full set of keys with my closest friend just before going to France. I suddenly realized that I'd forgotten to turn off the central heating and she was a Godsend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Broad! I guess these kinds of emergencies make us all think of ways to overcome them 'just in case.' So good to have friends.

      Delete
  6. yes, I know what that is like. and I owe many marys. I have been mary too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best kind of friends are the ones that are happy to help, that understand what a relief it is to find help like that and are pleased to be able to be a friend that way. They are few and far between, that's for certain sure. My brother Bill was just like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brother sounds just as nice as you James :)

      Delete
  8. That's a friend to treasure, Astrid! We've all done the same - locked the keys in the car or in the house, but I've never doe it at 7am and had to be rescued. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually waited until it was close to 7a.m. The drama really began with the locking of the car closer to 6:15a.m. Friends are wonderful creatures :)

      Delete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.