Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cigarettes, Gardenias and Fishnet Stockings - Part II



          By the time I had finished my circuit around the mezzanine and was heading back down to the lower level, there was a sudden commotion behind me.  I turned to see flames from the barbeque grills had attacked the ceiling beams and these were already on fire.  It was stunning how quickly the flames took hold and traveled along the ceiling.
          Immediately there was panic.  People screaming, trying to get down the steps and out the front door were being impeded by the people on the ground floor trying to do the same.
          I had made it to the private side room and as calmly as possible I tried to encourage the customers there to take their things and exit the building.  I was not being brave.  I truly thought that this was a little fire the fire department would put out quickly and we’d all end up in the boss’s office laughing and joking about the drama of it all.
          It was only seconds later that I suddenly felt burning in my eyes and thick black smoke enveloping me.  I couldn’t breathe.  There was no air.  I grabbed a handful of the velvet curtain and pressed it against my nose and mouth.  The smoke was so terribly thick I couldn’t see even a foot in front of my face.  I think it was then that I realized that this was not going to end with jokes in the boss’s office, and that my life was in actual danger.
          Dumping the cigarette tray onto a table I dropped to the floor and started to crawl towards where I thought the front door might be.   Suddenly there was a shattering of glass and I heard a voice yelling, ‘Fire department…is anyone still in here?’
          Thank the good Lord, you bet there is!
          The voice directed me to get on the floor and crawl towards him.  Well, I was already on the floor and, although it was a little easier to breathe down there, I still couldn’t see anything but vague outlines of the legs of chairs and tables. 
          I kept crawling until suddenly there was a big arm grabbing me and pulling me outside.  Coughing and spluttering I joined the rest of the patrons on the footpath.
          The Embers  burned to the ground that night.  Walking past the charred and boarded up building the next day, I paused to read what some wit had scrawled across the front door.  The Ashes, it said.  Too true.


         

24 comments:

  1. Well that is scary. Tell me, did the fireman hit on you after? It would make it an even better story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come on Joe...I was 17! Although HE didn't know that :) But no. Too busy wiping the sooty grime off my face I think.

      Delete
  2. When you hear about the fires in Disco's today, it makes you think. They have not learned a lot, have they?
    Good one my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there dearie. I'm sure though, that the Embers kinds of establishment would not have been allowed with today's fire rules.

      Delete
  3. Scary stuff - you did real well to get out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I've truly thought I was glad I knew where I was going...and it wasn't to hell :)

      Delete
  4. Whenever we encounter firemen at our local grocery store, Mrs. Chatterbox, who has a thing for firemen, sighs deeply. Your scary story doesn't help me one bit! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't panic Stephen...I give a memory sigh every time I see a fireman too. Of course they are all gorgeous and super fit here...I wasn't paying that much attention to the guy who came into the Embers for me. Whatever he looked like in real life, to me he was my hero!

      Delete
  5. Hello Astrid
    Your lucky day for sure - wonder what building materials were used?
    Having seen visiting acts there is there any chance you could name the artist in this photo?
    http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/imageservices/2012/03/back-at-the-embers/
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recognize the model but not the singer. I also recognize the little stage...walked past that on many, many nights.

      Delete
  6. G'day Astrid. Very scary stuff to be caught in a fire like that.Thank goodness the fireman grabbed you. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My word, woman! How many death-scares do you have in store for us?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I know. It does all sound a bit dramatic doesn't it? I didn't realize how much drama there was in my life until I started to put it in writing :)

      Delete
    2. So far, I have the much the same dramatic incidents --

      . snake story (check)
      . strange woman in the car story (check) ;)
      . fire story (someone set fire to the back bedroom, where my father was sleeping; I hard the glass of the windows breaking from the heat, went to investigate ... and possibly saved his life befire the fire entered the house)

      Delete
    3. See...your life is just as dramatic as mine :)

      Delete
  8. oh my gosh! what a story! what an experience. Fire men and fire women really are heroes.
    and 17?!!! wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite the story....How scary....It's a good thing you found those velvet drapes. It's a pleasure meeting you through your blog. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. It was a very scary night..now an interesting memory.

      Delete
  10. How terrifying, Astrid. I've read enough news stories about similar incidents to know how easily this could have ended tragically. Instead you were saved by a hunky fireman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is nice post which gives the knowledge about the cigarettess which is being used now a days more. i hope that you will learn more from this site.
    dunhill cigarettes
    buy cigarettes online
    discount cigarettes

    ReplyDelete

Receiving comments is wonderful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I will always try to respond and will pop over and visit you at your blog.